10 solid reasons why teens should start thinking about and becoming entrepreneurs now!
As we frequently discuss at BIZNOVATOR, the technology landscape and global economy are being transformed faster than at any point in our history. While this massive change can be very unsettling for many, we believe it represents massive opportunity. Young people who are purpose driven, insatiably curious and ready to innovate will be in a great position to be the change agents and disruptors of tomorrow.
In this blog we outline the 10 reasons why teens and young people should seriously consider becoming entrepreneurs now.
- Why Not? How often have you heard, “What do you have to lose?” The truth is, very little, and there is no better time to start experimenting with business then during your middle school, high school and college years.
- Because you’re young! More than likely you have absolutely no debt; you’re living at home; and you have no children of your own! You have much lower risk
- 68% of the jobs that are secured post college graduation, have little or absolutely nothing to do with the degree obtained.
- Entrepreneurship is fun and challenging and depending on your attitude, work ethic, planning and discipline— it’s very rewarding!
- Still today….too many high schools around the world follow century-old practices that prepare students for low-skilled jobs in agriculture, factories, and jobs that no longer exist. As an entrepreneur you can let the market needs and voids guide as to what venture you should start.
- Simply because you’re a Gen Z, you have an entrepreneurial edge. You more than likely understand technology, have a vast network of friends and are socially driven to improve the world you will inherit.
- Graduating from college and having start up experiences gives you a leg up when you graduate. At a college campus, you can get all kinds of support from your professors, peers, Department Chairs, and club leaders.
- You have the liberty to fail. It’s ok to do so, and don’t be surprised if your first start-up won’t work! As many successful entrepreneurs will tell you, “if you are going to fail, fail fast!” Very wise words. The upside is that if/when your first venture succeeds it can provide you amazing personal and financial rewards.
- If you manage your time right, you’ll be able to launch several businesses throughout your high school and college career. This can be a huge benefit that can bring value to any company that might want to hire you.
- Many colleges have business plan pitch competitions. We advise that you should enter as many as you can. Today the seed capital being offered can range from $5,000 – $150,000+ in winnings.
Join the coolest movement —go to college, learn, have fun and start-up!
BIZNOVATOR is a youth empowerment platform that offers a year-round experience for young people interested in entrepreneurship, social innovation and global leadership. Through our seminars, workshops, summer camps and in school Academies, BIZNOVATOR helps young people to DISCOVER their purpose, TRANSFORM their mindset and CONNECT to their future. We have recently launched our Online Learning Platform, www.mybiznovator.com which enables young people from all over the world to experience our unique BIZNOVATOR programs. We invite you to join us!
Juan Pablo Casimiro is Founder and CEO of BIZNOVATOR. With more than 30 years of empowering youth and adults globally, Casimiro never misses a moment to teach, coach and challenge his clients to live their dreams. Casimiro was born in Dominican Republic and grew up in New York City.